Internationally renowned litigator Robert Shapiro is a senior partner at Los Angeles-based Glaser Weil Fink Howard Avchen & Shapiro LLP. He has represented a number of high-profile corporations, including Rockstar Energy Drink, Diamond Resorts International, Steve Wynn and Wynn Resorts Ltd, Cadeau Express, as well as many celebrity clients.
Mr. Shapiro has a reputation for being a zealous advocate for his clients. His success in trying cases has allowed him to negotiate settlements and bring resolution without going to trial. His abstract imagination gives him the ability to analyze facts from all sides.
Mr. Shapiro has more than 30 years of criminal litigation practice, including the successful defenses of O.J. Simpson and Christian Brando. Shortly after the Simpson trial, Mr. Shapiro steered his practice away from criminal defense and toward the civil arena. The striking evolution of his career gives him a background that is unmatched by most attorneys. Many civil litigators have experience taking depositions, but cannot carry that experience into the courtroom or in front of a jury, which sets Mr. Shapiro apart.
He received a business degree in finance from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1965 and obtained his law degree from Loyola Law School in 1968. At the start of his career, Mr. Shapiro spent two years in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office before deciding to practice criminal defense as a sole practitioner, polishing his trial and litigation expertise.
Mr. Shapiro has received many honors for his legal prowess, including:
- Selected as one of “The 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America,” The National Law Journal
- Named one of the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” The National Trial Lawyers
- Named one of the “Top 25 Trial Lawyers,” The National Trial Lawyers
- Named by Lawyers of Distinction as top 10% in the USA
- Recognized as “Pro-Bono Lawyer of the Year,” The State of Nevada
- Selected by Best Attorneys of America, Lifetime Charter Member
- Ranked as one of the “Nation’s Top 100 Attorneys,” National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Founding Member
- Designated a “Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in the State of California,” The American Society of Legal Advocates, 2016
- Awarded “Premier 100 Trial Attorney,” National Academy of Jurisprudence, formerly known as the American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Named one of “50 Inspirational Alumni” Loyola Law School
Mr. Shapiro has been married for more than 40 years to his wife, Linell and has a son, Grant. His other son, Brent, died of chemical dependency disease in 2005, prompting Mr. Shapiro to found The Brent Shapiro Foundation, a nonprofit organization created to raise drug and alcohol awareness in the wake of this tragedy.
Mr. Shapiro considers himself to be an entrepreneur at heart and has founded three companies: LegalZoom.com, Shoedazzle.com and RightCounsel.com. His business background allows him to better understand corporate clients’ needs, as well as their interests.
Mr. Shapiro has authored two books, “The Search for Justice” and “Misconceptions.” He also wrote a children’s book on the negative effects of drug use, which is available free-of-charge to schools across the country. Additionally, he is a frequent contributor to Op-Ed pieces and legal articles. He has appeared on all cable and network news channels as a legal expert.